What are birthing kits?
About our birthing kits
The birthing kit addresses the 7 cleans needed for a safe delivery.
The kits are basic with 6 items. A plastic sheet, soap, 2 gloves, sterile scalpel blade, 3 cords and 5 gauze squares.
A plastic sheet
- For the mother to lie on
- Preventing mother and baby coming into contact with the floor or ground
- To wipe secretions from the babies eyes and the mother's perineum
- For clean ties for the umbilical cord
- To prevent bleeding from the umbilical cord for mother and baby
- For Clean hands
- To prevent birth attendant transmitting germs to mother and baby
- For a clean cut of the umbilical cord
- For clean hands
- To prevent the birth attendant transmitting germs to mother and baby
- Washing and drying the stumps prevents infection
Click an item to read more about its purpose